Thursday, February 28, 2019

Kharon Part 22

Kharon Chapter 22


   Kiarah and Luke are in the systems deck. They start examining the weapon, guidance and defense systems. “Well?”, asks Luke.
  “No structure damage. The weapon systems should be fine after some minor repairs. The motors need some work to be fully operational again but I believe it’s doable. The shields will never be the same again but with effort we might be able to bring some of it back online.”
  “And the guidance system?”, says Luke.
  “Gone. No salvaging it. We sail like the ancients did from now on. By the stars.” 

  “You’re lying to me again”, says Luke menacingly.
  “I don’t lie. It brings dishonor.”
  “All you do is lie.”
  Kiarah slams her hand against the wall. “You think I am proud of 
what I did!? I thought I was doing the right thing! Instead I’m a disgrace!”
  “So why should I believe let alone trust you?”
  “Because I’m done. In every sense of the word. I have nothing to believe in or live for. What purpose do I have to not tell you the truth?”
  “I don’t know. But I do know I almost got killed because of you. I put in a lot of work and made a lot sacrifices to get this second shot. To get to The Gardens.”
  Kiarah looks Luke dead in the eye. “And I told you they don’t exist."
  Luke pulls out his map. “Prove it then. Take us to where this map says it is.”
  “I can’t. The skies are not like the ancient times. They are too dense to see the stars accurately. Even though I studied the ancient ways of star navigation I can’t confidently guide you anywhere. No one can.”
  Luke gets right in Kiarah’s face. “Well the Quarsian’s are said to be the greatest navigators of the sea and you said you were the finest of the Quarsian sailors and this is supposedly one of the greatest ships in the Quarsian fleet so I think you are up for the challenge.”
  “Fine! You want to waste your life on a fools errand what do I care.”
  “Good”, says Luke. “Then it’s a deal.” He extends his hand and Kiarah reluctantly shakes it.
  “Get me the repair kit from the bridge and get your friend’s to help. We need to start these repairs immediately if we are to have a chance of surviving on the open seas.”
  “That’s what I want to hear.” Luke turns to head back up to the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment