Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Prinooween- Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The caravan stops suddenly in some woods.  “Why are we stopped”, says Michael with alarm in his voice.  
“Maybe we are here”, says Karen.
“I don’t see no castle”, says Sal looking out the window of the coach.  
Zoeborh then opens the door and addresses the earthlings, “We have a storm coming in.  You can stay in the coach if you wish or you can take shelter in that cave over there with Milenas.  Whichever you prefer.  Just know you are under our watchful eye either way.”
John sees an opportunity to get to know Milenas even better and doesn’t give it a second thought, “We will go in the cave.”  Michael smacks John over the head.  “Ow what the hell was that for?”
“Using the wrong head.”
“Um how bad is this storm?”, asks Karen.
“You should be fine in the coach.  We just don’t want to take a chance with Milenas.”
“Guess it’s safest with a princess”, says Michael.
“That’s what I was saying”, John says.
“Dude don’t even”, says Sal as he follows the others out of the coach. 
Inside the cave Milenas smiles as she sees the four earthlings enter.  She walks over to greet them, “My apologies.”
“For what?”
“It is my fault we are stopping.”
“You’re scared of storms?”, asks John.
“Don’t worry so is he”, Sal says pointing at John.
Out of the side of his mouth John says, “Shut up”
Milenas looks down in embarrassment, “No I am not scared.  It’s just…well…water burns me.”
“What’s this now?”, asks Michael.  
“On this world fire burns everyone”, says Milenas.
“Yea that’s how it works on our planet too”, says Sal, “Isn’t that what fire does?”
Milenas takes her glove off her hand and puts her fingers into the flame of one of the torches lighting the cave.  They don’t burn.  She pulls her hand out and holds it up to show that it is fine, “Not for me.”
“Wow”, says Michael, “I bet you can make a fortune at parties.”
“But…but how did you do that?”, Sal asks in disbelief.
“People usually get scared”, says Milenas, “They think me unnatural since water and fire are opposites for me.”
“Wait if water burns you I was wet when I touched your hand earlier”, says John trying to comprehend and rationalize this information.
“My clothing is waterproof.”
“Wait how do you drink water?”, asks Sal, “Or do you drink fire?”  Karen smacks him.
“Don’t be rude.”
“I don’t mind.  People usually either run away or ask a lot of questions when they find out.  I drink water it usually doesn’t burn too bad as long as I put fire on it.”  Milenas then holds out her hand and a fire ball appears over it and she places it over a cup sitting beside her.  The fire stays in the cup and she takes the cup and drinks from it.  After she places the cup back down she grabs the fire with her hand and closes her fist around it and it is gone.
“Aw man that is awesome.  How did you do that trick?”, asks Sal.
Milenas looks confused by his reaction, “It’s magic.  You cannot do magic.”
“Na I was never any good at those kits when I was a kid.  If I could do tricks like you I would have made a killing doing shows in Vegas.  I would have drove around town in a Ferrari.  Instead I worked in cube farm and drove a Toyota.”
Milenas laughs, “You talk funny.”
“I live to entertain.”
“Um I don’t think those are tricks I think in this world people can really do magic?”, says Karen.
“What na that’s impossible”, says Sal.
Milenas says, “I am not that good in magic.  My sister is better but I like playing with fire even though Zoeborh and Frallinaso don’t like me doing it.”  
“Frallinaso is your sister right?”, John asks absorbing everything she says.
“Yes she is the Queen.”
Sal interjects, “Does she look like you and if so is there a king in the picture.”  Karen smacks him again.
“She is prettier than me.  But no king.  She took over when our parents died.  Zoeborh served our parents for a long time.  Now he looks after us since it’s just me and my sister.”
John tenderly says, “I am sorry that you lost your parents we all know what losing loved ones is like.”  
Everyone is silent lost in their own thoughts of past memories for a while until Karen finally says, “If you don’t mind me asking, Milenas, are you able to cry?”
“Yes but it burns so I don’t most of the time.  Luckily I heal very quickly if I do”, Milenas answers with a half smile clearly covering up past pains she has had to bury.  

Zoeborh then walks into the cave, “The storm has passed.  Shall we continue?”

No comments:

Post a Comment