Thursday, June 13, 2019

Kharon Part 79

Kharon Chapter 79


       The ice soldiers catch up to Emma who runs until she reaches a dead end with an ice wall too high and wide to scale.  “Cease and desist immediately and come with us”, bellows the Ice Soldier.  
         Emma turns with anger and anguish on her face and clutches Sparky tightly.  “Leave me alone!”  Sparky then lets out a torrent of electrical pulses and charges.  So much so that it coalesces into an electrical storm that moves towards the soldiers who are trying to figure out what is going on.  Luke sees this and stops in his tracks astonished at the spectacle.    
        Jacob comes up behind him takes one look at what is happening and yells, “Hide!”  He grabs Luke and they duck and burrow into a crevice in the ice.  The electrical storm hits all the soldiers and the surrounding walls of ice causing it all to explode in a gush of electricity and steam.  
        After the storm has subsided Luke and Jacob squeeze out of their hiding spot and look around.  “Alright it’s official.  I’m not longer calling Sparky a little shit”, says Luke.  He then gingerly approaches Emma who is now crouching on the ground still clutching Sparky.  “Don’t electrocute me.  I just want to talk.”
        “Since when do you give a shit about anyone!  All you care about is your precious Gardens.”
        Luke sits down next to Emma.  “I didn’t have a childhood.  I had to struggle for everything.  Always looking out for the next shit storm.”
“Boo fucking hoo.”
        Luke continues, “I’m guessing it still wasn’t as bad as the nightmare your childhood was.”  Emma turns to Luke surprised and they lock eyes for a moment till Emma turns back away.  “That’s why I wanted to bring us to The Gardens.  I want us to be able to play for once.  To be like children without any cares or worries…or pain.”  
        Emma wipes a tear from her cheek.  “What if we never find it?  Maybe we can make this life work.”
        “I would rather have The Gardens.”  Emma looks down and away from Luke at this remark.  Luke sighs heavily.  “But while we’re looking for The Gardens I guess we could do worse than what we got.”
        Emma’s head whips around to squarely look Luke in the eye.  “Prove you mean it.  Make peace with Jacob.”
        “What?!”
        Emma arches her eyebrows in response.  Luke rolls his eyes and gets up and walks over to Jacob.  “That was dirty what you did to me…but I guess what's done is done.”
        “Really?  Just like that you’re forgiving me?”
        “I’m letting you off the hook so we can both try to get on with our lives.  Are you going to fucking argue with that?”
        Jacob thinks for a moment and then says, “I guess I’ll take it.”
        “You’re an ass.”
        “You’re a bigger one but it looks like I can't shake you.”
        Luke smirks.  “So we finally agree on something.”  Luke turns to Emma.  “Happy now?”
       “Relatively.  Now let's go find the others and get out of here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment