Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Kharon Part 78

Kharon Chapter 78


        Jacob, Luke, Emma and Sparky are marching amongst swirling massive snow patterns that could only be seen from a bird’s eye view.  On the ground it just looks like mounds and ridges.  But no one seems to be paying much attention to the landscape.  Everyone seems sour.  Ice soldiers march a few yards behind them.
        “This is fucking stupid”, says Luke.
        “Do you do anything but complain?’, asks Emma holding Sparky.
        “Fuck you”, retorts Luke.  Sparky lets out a tiny spark of electricity as a warning to Luke in defense of Emma.
        “The sooner we find Simone and Kiarah the sooner we can get out of here is all I’m saying.”
        “I still say we might be selling this place short”, Jacob chimes in.
        “You just think that because they’re all conniving ego maniacs here and you’d fit right in”, says Luke.
        Jacob stops walking and turns to Luke holding up the entire procession.  “You know I’m getting damn sick and tired of your shit.”
        “Oh yea?  I don’t give a fuck!”
        “One incident how many years ago and you just can’t let it go!  Even after I rescued your sorry ass.”
        “You betrayed me!  I ended up in lock up you bastard!”
        “Did you ever think that was the better alternative!”
        “What the fuck are you talking about?  What sucks worse than lock up?
        “Try death!”
        Emma stands before a wall of ice that is so smooth it’s like a mirror reflecting herself standing in-between Jacob and Luke arguing.  She is becoming upset as she stares at the image in front of her and listens to Jacob and Luke who are now yelling at each other.  She closes her eyes trying to push out long buried memories that are being stirred up.  The ice soldiers stand nearby in amused confusion watching this scene.
        “Marcus was going to whack everyone on the job!  He wanted me to whack you too so I gave you the wrong location!”, shouts Jacob.
        “You what?  You’re lying!  Why am I just fucking hearing this now?”
        “You two stop and continue searching.  This is your warning”, says an Ice Soldier.
        They ignore the soldier and Jacob continues screaming at Luke.  “Marcus doesn’t know I gave you the wrong location.  He thought you just got locked up for good by accident.  Why do you think I’ve been helping you hide out?  Marcus is still out there somewhere?”
        “You sent me to lock up instead of standing up to Marcus?”
        “It wasn’t my finest moment, alright!”
        “I would have killed Marcus myself!”
        “See this is why I didn’t tell you!  Marcus is a blood thirsty lunatic!”
        “You had no right to make that decision for me!  I was your partner, not one of your fucking toys to do with what you wanted.”
        Suddenly Emma let’s out a scream.  “I can’t take it anymore!”  Both Luke and Jacob stop arguing and turn towards Emma who has tears streaming down her face.  “Why do people always fight!?  Why do people scream and hurt!?  I can’t do this!”  With that Emma runs off into the snowy maze leaving Jacob and Luke confused.    
        “Hey!  Where do you think you’re going?”, cries an ice soldier as several run after Emma.
        Jacob scratches his head.  “Is this some kind of escape plan she cooked up?”
        “I don’t think so.  I think Emma is affected by our fighting”, says Luke.
        “Why would she care?  I mean her and I aren’t like a thing or anything like that and I think she hates you.”
        Luke glares at Jacob.  “Come on let’s find her.”  Luke runs off after Emma.  
        More ice soldiers start running after Luke now as he disappears in the snow maze.  “You get back here!”
       Jacob takes advantage of this and grabs a chunk of ice off the ground and uses it to knock out the remaining soldiers who are trying to radio into their superiors.  “What inept guards.”  He then runs after Luke.

No comments:

Post a Comment