Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Unknown Person Part 4

Unknown Person Chapter 4



          In the bedroom Alanna rummages through some things and tosses the man some sweats.  “Here put those on”, she says.  “Shouldn’t I call the police to help you or something.”
        “I think it was the government chasing me so I don’t trust the authorities right now”, says the man as he gets dressed.
       “Why is the government after you?”
       “I told you I don’t know."
       “Well I’m an artist not a super spy.  The best I can do is give you a ride into town”, says Alanna.
       “Is that safer?”
       “I don’t know but you’re not staying here so it’s either that or shacking up with the bears.”
       “Good point."

       Alanna and the man are driving in her truck into town.  “So where you want me to drop ya?”, asks Alanna.
       “I have no idea.  I just don’t know where to begin.  I want to know what happened to me and who I am but it seems so hopeless.  I’m a man without a past.  I feel…lost”, says the man frustrated.
       Alanna looks at him with sympathy.  “Look, I’m sorry I can’t help you more.”
       “Why would you believe me let alone help me”, says the man.
       “How about I drop you at a library.  Maybe a magazine or a newspaper will jog your memory."
       “It’s worth a try”, says the man looking out the window forlorn.  He then suddenly straightens up in his seat and gets a confused look on his face.  He is staring at the woman on the street sitting at a café with a friend.  The woman happens to glance in his direction and they lock eyes.  Both seem to have a flicker of recognition wash over their faces.  The man rolls down the window and yells out, “Hey!” but the truck moves on past the woman.
       At the café the friend asks the woman, “Did you know that man?”
       The woman shakes it off and snaps out of her trance.  “Uh no just one of those faces I guess.  You ready to go?”
       “Yea”, says the friend as they get up to leave.
       Back in the truck the man pleads with Alanna, “You gotta turn the truck around!”
       “What? Why?”
       “That woman.  I recognize her I think”, says the man as he grabs the wheel and starts turning the truck around in the middle of the street.
       “Get the hell off the wheel!  Are you trying to kill us?”, yells Alanna.  As they drive past the café the man jumps out of the truck.  Alanna stops the truck over and briskly walks up to the man.  “You’re a nutcase!”
        “Where is she?”, says the man looking frantically.
        “How the hell should I know?  If you don’t stop acting like a lunatic I’m leaving you here.”
        “I’m sorry.  But I swear we looked at each other and I felt like I knew her.  She could be the answer to everything!”
        “Well get back in the truck and we’ll drive around looking for her as long as you can dial it down”, says Alanna.
         Suddenly the man freezes as his gaze catches a black Cadillac parked behind Alanna with two men in suites and sunglasses watching them.  The man’s eyes grow wide.  “We gotta go”, says the man as he grabs Alanna’s arm and starts pulling her towards the truck.
         “What?! I thought we had to look for that woman?”
         “Get in and I’ll explain”, says the man as they both climb back in the truck.  “Drive.”
         “Where?”, asks Alanna.
         “Just drive anywhere!  They found me!”
         “Who the government?”
         “Drive now!"
         “Ok okay but remember I still have the knife”, says Alanna as she starts the truck.  
         The man looks behind him and sees the Cadillac pulling out into the street as Alanna pulls the truck out into the street.
         “They’re following us we have to lose them”, says the man.
         “Whoa friend this isn’t a spy movie."
         “I'm in danger!"
         “That's it buddy I'm…”, starts Alanna but she trails off when she sees a bunch of armored cars blocking the street in front of them.  She tries to back up but more cars pull up behind them blocking their path.  They are quickly surrounded.  
         A man in a suit gets out of one of the cars and pulls a badge out of his jacket as he strolls up to the truck.  Alanna rolls down the window as the guy flashes a badge at her.  “I’m agent Williams.  Do you know this man you're driving is a wanted fugitive?”
        Alanna turns towards the man and says, “I thought you said you were a victim?”
        “I don’t know my past but I know I’m not criminal."
        “He’s lying ma’am”, says agent Williams.  “We will need to take you both in for questioning.”
        “What?  Why me?”  
        “Then who am I?”, asks the man.
        Agent Williams looks at the man but ignores him.  “Step out of the car both of you”, says agent Williams.  Then talking into his blue tooth, “We’re bringing them out now.”
        Alanna steps out of the car and agent Williams grabs her arm and starts leading her away.  Alanna looks behind her back towards the truck.  She witnesses several men dragging the man out of the truck and handcuffing him and dragging him to a nearby armored truck.  
        The man is screaming, “Who am I?!  Why won’t you answer me?  Why can’t you tell me who or what I am?  What am I!!”  Alanna feels conflicted.  Suddenly a sonic shriek emits from the man that makes everyone duck and cover their ears.  
        Agent Williams yells, “Why aren’t the earplugs working dammit!  Somebody open fire!”
        Just then storm clouds form in the sky above them.  Torrents of rain begin pouring down accompanied by huge bolts of lightning that strike the agents and their vehicles.  Twisters of water and air form and destroy what the lightening doesn’t.  Alanna remains unaffected and the only one safe.  The man uses his tremendous strength to snap the handcuffs.  
         Then just as suddenly the storm vanishes.  The man looks around at the devastation.  He sees Alanna crouched on the ground and runs over to her and pulls her to her feet saying, “Come on let's get out of here.”  They begin to run off but some agents who survived open fire on them.  The man gets in-between the shooters and Alanna and ends up taking a bullet in the shoulder and side before they get out of sight.  
         In a nearby car Morgan watches all of this with binoculars and is smiling, “Brilliant.  Simply brilliant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment