Friday, June 22, 2018

Tales of the Jedi: Redemption

So one day I was flipping through a bin of graphic novels at a local comic book store and came across an old graphic novel called Star Wars Tales of the Jedi: Redemption.  It was published by Dark Horse Comics about twenty years ago.  The story was written by Kevin J. Anderson.  Pencils were done by Chris Gossett(who by the way came up with the design for a double bladed lightsaber made famous by Darth Maul in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace).  Chris Gossett and Andrew Pepoy did the inks.  Colors and lettering were done by Dave Nestelle and Willie Schubert respectively.  I am a Star Wars fan but I tend to enjoy it more for the Skywalker Saga than anything.  Darth Vadar/Anakin Skywalker being one of my all time favorite fictional characters(as I have mentioned before).  So I generally don't read or watch Star Wars stories without a Skywalker in them.  But I have always loved tales of redemption so I decided to give this book a try.  And am I glad I did.

This story is pretty straightforward.  Before the time of Yoda, Palpatine and the Skywalker clan there was a great war between Sith and Jedi called the Sith War.  The war had devastated the galaxy but eventually the Sith were defeated.  The leader of the Sith was betrayed by his chief lieutenant who himself was a fallen Jedi.  This man's name is Ulic.  Now ten years after the Sith War Ulic has been stripped of his connection to the Force and can no longer wield it(some think his punishment should have been even more severe).  Ulic now wanders the galaxy in exile looking for a remote planet to live out the rest of his days in seclusion.  Ulic is a tortured soul regretting the choices he has made and the gruesome deeds he has done.  He wishes for the release of death.

Meanwhile a young woman named, Vima Sunrider dreams of becoming a Jedi.  But can't find a Jedi to train her.  Through a series of coincidences she learns of Ulic's location and seeks him out begging him to teach her the ways of the Force.  The story then centers on whether Ulic can find redemption with this young girl.

This sounds like stuff we have all seen before but the story takes an interesting approach.  Ulic being cut off from the Force adds an interesting element.  I found the morals and themes of the story very powerful and thought provoking.  I highly recommend this book.  In fact I wish Disney would make Star War spin off movies like this.  The way Ulic is handled shows the grey areas that we can wander into in life which gives a sort of real-world purpose to a space adventure.  Can people who are not Jedi force users still connect to the force?  How do you move on from guilt and regret?  What does forgiveness mean?  These are all questions that are addressed in this story and I feel handled very well.  So if you're a Star Wars fan and especially a fan of Jedi lore then definitely seek out this book.  Also if you are one meditating on past regrets and/or forgiveness this story might speak to you as it did me.  It is fairly accessible even if you are not a Star Wars fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment