Thursday, July 27, 2017

Myths of Humanity- Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A couple days later Brendan and the others have fixed up most of the compound.  Brendan and Tori are chopping and cutting some wood as Ray and Bridget unload it from the truck.  They have gone through a lot of wood with the repairs and need to replenish their stock.  No one in the compound had outright talked about what happened.  Perhaps they were afraid that if they did then what they had seen would be confirmed real.  Everyone seemed to want to believe it was a collective hallucination.  Brendan knew different though.  He felt the pain from those creatures.  He felt his body come back to life.  He will never forget either for as long as he lives.  
Then without warning, almost to prove the collective hallucination theory wrong, the portal of blue light that the strangers disappeared into reappears right where it had disappeared that bizarre morning.  Out of the portal steps Alex, Ashley, Lindsey and Megan followed last by Dixie.  The portal closes again behind Dixie.  Word spreads quickly throughout the compound that the strangers are back.  Soon the whole compound has come running over to see the four mysterious strangers who had performed astonishing acts.  
Brendan walks up to them without hesitation and with a somber expression on his face, “Welcome back.”
“How is everyone doing here?”, asks Alex.
Brendan responds flatly, “Physically fine, repaired most of the damage.  But mentally well that’s another story.  We all have come to accept zombies really existing but what we all saw that morning…well that was something else entirely.  Now you promised us an explanation.”
“And we will give you one”, says Alex, “but I warn you it may bring up more questions then it answers.  Either way it will turn your world upside down.”
“It already has”, Brendan retorts back.
“Well brace yourself for more then.  Sorry in advance”, says Alex.
Megan touches Alex’s arm, “Why don’t you take it easy honey and go slowly from the top.”
Alex nods, “Yea that’s probably best but I guess that means Lindsey should start off.”
They all turn to Lindsey who says, “Oh boy.  I guess you’re right.  But…um…I don’t know how to start.  I mean I haven’t explained this to this big of a group.”  
“It might do you good.  Help you process it”, says Megan to Lindsey.
Lindsey takes a deep breath, “Ok well here goes nothing I suppose.  I was a vet tech before the…well…you know zombies.  So I was working our kennels one day and the hospital was closed and we didn’t have that many animals boarding with us so it was just me there as the only…well human worker.  Anyway I was doing some cleaning when I walked by our dog runs…..

Almost a year ago…   

Lindsey is walking down a hallway at a vet clinic when she suddenly stops in her tracks.  She looks through the window of a door and sees Dixie laying on the floor outside the cages.  “Oh Dixie, you bad boy.  Did I forget to lock the door to your run”, says Lindsey to herself.  She smiles and shakes her head and goes into the runs.  She puts a lead on Dixie and gently leads him back to his run but her eyes go wide and her jaw drops when she sees that the door to his run is securely locked.  She examines the lock and sees it is in fact secure.  She drops the lead and walks into the run examining it but sees no way for a dog the size of Dixie to get out.  “Did I put you in a different run?”, she mutters to herself as she walks up and down the hallway of runs examining them but all the cages are secure.  Lindsey turns to Dixie who stares back at her calmly.  “What are you?”, she again says to herself out loud.  
Dixie then casually trots over to the door leading out to the hallway and gives a little bark.  He then passes right through the door.  Lindsey screams and jumps back.  “You’re a ghost dog!”, she screams.  Dixie then passes back through the door again.  
Lindsey stares at Dixie in disbelief and then she hears a voice that seems to be coming from Dixie himself that says, “No, I am not.  Please come with me.  It is important.”  Dixie then turns and passes through the door once more.
“Did…did you just speak to me?”, Lindsey says.  
She hears the voice once more, “Yes.  I will explain but please it will be easier out here trust me.”  Lindsey grips the cage doors as she walks herself on her wobbly jelly like legs down the runs and out into the hallway.  Dixie is standing there calmly waiting.  The voice comes again, “Thank you.  I take it you can understand me now.”
Lindsey slowly lowers herself and sits on the floor, “That’s…that’s you talking?”
“Yes”, says Dixie.  “I apologize I had to reveal myself like this to you but my more subtle attempts were going unheeded and we are running out of time.”
“What are you?  Why can I hear you?”
“I am a dog.  But my spirit did not originate on this planet.  I am really one of the members of the high council of a distant planet called Chironusope.  I was incarnated in this body as a dog here on the planet you call Earth as part of a special mission.”
“You’re an…alien?!”, stammers Lindsey.
“Yes.  You may still call me Dixie which is my dog name here on Earth.  As for how you can hear me well anyone can hear me if they are open to it.  However that being said it was decided because of who you really are that you out of all the human carnets would be best for me to make contact with first.  You did agree to it when you were in your true form.”
“My true form?”
“I apologize for my bluntness but as I said we are running short on time so I will just come right out and say it.  You are in fact a fairy incarnated in human form.”
“What!?!”, cries Lindsey.
“When you were a child didn’t you here the animals and the plants talking?”
“But that was just because I had an overactive imagination and was lonely being an only child.”
“No.  That is what humanity and their culture told you but it was not true.  In reality you are a fairy and a powerful one at that.  You like me volunteered to incarnate in the form you are currently in as part of a special mission to save this planet and heal humanity.”
Lindsey’s head is spinning as she says, “What are you talking about!?”
“I know you grew up as human so the myths of humanity made you forget your true identity.  That is why I incarnated in the form of a dog so I would be immune to the falsities humans tell themselves.  It was always known that I would have to make the rest of you remember.”
Lindsey says, “Wait you said ‘rest of you.’  Does that mean there are other fairies like me here?”
“No.  You were the only volunteer selected from your realm.  We felt less was more in this situation.”
“For what?  The mission?  I can’t believe this.”
“Allow me to try to explain.  Despite what you have been taught humans are far from alone in this universe.  Quite the opposite actually.  The universe is teeming with life.  There are a plethora of other inhabited planets in this realm or what you might call dimension as well as many other dimensions that are all connected and intersecting.  All of this forms a sort of nexus.”
“I don’t understand”, says Lindsey trying to comprehend.
“Are you familiar with how the human brain works?”
“Yea somewhat.”
“The human brain is made up of billions of neurons that transmit energy and signals to one another thus making up an individual’s complex mind”, explains Dixie.
“Ok I know that.  That’s actually the first thing you have said I fully understand.”
“Well it’s the same concept with the whole of creation.  All the dimensions, all the planets, all the life forms are connected to each other to make up what you would know as the universe.”
“Wow”, says Lindsey.  She pauses to think it over and then says, “Actually somehow that makes sense to me.  I mean I always hoped we weren’t alone in the universe.  And I always felt life was connected in a deeply profound way.”
“Yes that is because deep down inside you still retain your memories of your fairy life.  A soul is a soul regardless of form.”
“But if the universe is so teeming with life and connected, why don’t we know about it?”, asks Lindsey.
“Humanity did know about it a long time ago.  Your ancient stories and myths have many beings from these other worlds in them.  They are called by various names through various cultures.”
“So all those legendary mythical creatures really existed?”
“Yes and still do exist.  But you see humanity was intimidated and scared by them.  They fought wars over them or blamed them for any ill fortune.  To be fair not all beings from other planets and dimensions were always the nicest or gentlest with the humans.  So over time humans became very fearful of these other beings and the fear turned to distrust and even hate.  Humans turned their backs on the others.  Overtime all the other worlds and dimensions withdrew from this planet.”
“So why are you here and why then am I here?”, asks Lindsey.
“Every action has repercussions.  By isolating themselves and this planet humanity left themselves vulnerable.  Which has made what is about to happen inevitable I am sorry to say.”
Lindsey’s eyes grow wide.  “Wait, what is about to happen?”
“It is best you not know ahead of time.  Just remember it was inevitable and that is why you and I are here.  To help it come to a good outcome eventually and set things right.”
“You are scaring me!  Please tell me?”
Dixie shakes his head, “You will know it when it happens.  And when it does you must come to me so I may guide you.”
“How do I find you?  I mean I can look up your house address on my GPS but what if your not home when this thing is supposed to happen?  I mean your only here for 11 more days.”
Dixie bows his head, “Lindsey, please trust me.  I know it’s a lot but everything will be ok.  Just go about your normal affairs and you will know without any doubt where and when to find me.”
With that Dixie is gone.  Lindsey looks around but doesn’t see him anywhere.  She wonders if she imagined everything like an hallucination.  She walks over to Dixie’s cage and sees him lying on the floor.  Lindsey stares at him wondering if she really had the conversation with him she just did.  Almost to answer her doubts Dixie voice is heard in her head again, “I can teleport and phase through solid objects.  Those along with telepathy are my gifts due to my true form.  You have gifts too but we will save that for another day.”  Lindsey nods in silence and walks away.  

Lindsey sits down for a long time trying to process what just happened.  Eventually she snaps out of it enough to finish taking care of the other animals.  She feels foolish giving Dixie his food and walking him outside on a leash but he says nothing to her but ‘Thank you’.  After she finishes she goes straight home.  She is not usually a drinker but she finds a bottle of wine in her tiny one bedroom apartment and starts drinking it.  She puts on the radio.  The music and alcohol eventually calm her enough to fall asleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment