Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Myths of Humanity- Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The next morning she wonders if it was a dream but later that evening when she is at work and sees Dixie he asks her, “How are you doing?”
‘So it wasn’t a dream’, she thinks.  “Well it’s a good thing I live alone otherwise someone would have taken me to the ER the way I looked last night.  It took music and alcohol to go to sleep”, she whispers so her co-workers don’t hear her.
“You don’t have to speak the words you can just think them but we can practice that at a future time.  It is understandable after last night to be disoriented and shaken but it’s all going to be ok trust me.”
“You keep saying that but I am scared.”
“We will make things right.”
Lindsey shakes her head, “I don’t have a clue what you are talking about but I guess after what I saw and heard last night I have no choice but to trust you.”
Over the next couple days Lindsey is distracted.  Her mind reeling as it tries to process everything Dixie said to her.  Every time she sees Dixie over the next week he tries saying calming and encouraging things but she feels so alone and in despair.  How could she possible explain this to anyone.  It is eating her up.  
One day while she is working she notices a bunch of her co-workers clustered around the computer and intensely looking back and forth between the monitor and their phones.  She is so curious about the odd behavior it forces all her thoughts about Dixie out of her head.  She walks over to inquire about what is going on when she sees the words ‘President expected to declare national emergency’ on the screen.  “What’s going on?”, asks Lindsey alarmed.
“I don’t know what the fuck it is”, says one of her co-workers concerned.
Another says, “All those rumors and stories of zombie attacks can’t be true!”
“God you don’t think this is really a zombie apocalypse do you?”, says still another.
“My friend just said they have video of people climbing up the white house and not dying when they shoot them”, says the one co-worker.
“Shit at least your getting messages.  My phone is jammed”, says one of the co-workers.
“Mine too”, says another.
Lindsey runs to her purse and checks her phone.  Voicemails and text messages are exploding on it.  She tries listening and reading some.  They all seem to be about chaos and zombie attacks.  ‘How could a real life zombie apocalypse really be happening’, races through her mind.  Suddenly she remembers Dixie and what he told her.  “It can’t be”, she mutters out loud.  She runs to his cage and blurts out, “Dixie there are zombies overrunning the country.”
Dixie barks and then says, “This is the event.  We need to get to your car and find the others immediately.”
“What others?”
Dixie teleports out of his cage and starts heading for the door, “The three others who volunteered for the mission.  Hurry there isn’t much time if they have made themselves known!”
“But what about the animals and people here isn’t there something we can do to help them.  And what about my family and friends.  I mean you’re an alien and I am a fairy right?”
Dixie walks over and licks Lindsey’s hand, “I know it is in your nature to help others but the only way to truly help them is to find the other three.”
Lindsey thinks for a moment and then says, “Ok.”  She opens the door and her and Dixie begin to head out of the building.  
A co-worker sees them and says, “Where are you going?”
“I am taking Dixie home with me”, says Lindsey not sure what else to say.
“That’s a good idea”, chimes in another co-worker.  “We should all take an animal home with us until this blows over.”
Still another co-worker looking at her phone says, “It might not blow over.  My husband got a text through.  It’s happening in Europe too look at this video.”  All the co-workers huddle around the phone to look at the video.  While they are glued to the video Lindsey and Dixie quietly exit the building.  
Once in the car Lindsey asks, “So how do we find the other three?”
“Two of them are your neighbors Alex and Megan.  One of them at least should hopefully be home if all is going according to plan.  Let’s try there first.”
“Whoa”, says Lindsey, “How do you know who they are?”
“The same way I knew who you were.  I was told.  This was all arranged beforehand and is being monitored.  I’ll explain later just trust me and drive quickly, please.”  Lindsey bites her lip and speeds off unsure what she is doing.
As she is driving she sees people all around her running and driving in a panic.  Everyone is going crazy being chased by others who seem inhuman.  Some people are aggressively fighting or trying to hit the zombies with their cars.  It doesn’t seem to be doing much good since the zombies seem to just shake it off and keep coming.  Lindsey screams as a man tries to break into her car.  Dixie says, “Go!  Now!  Ignore traffic laws!”  Lindsey speeds away from the man and blows through an intersection narrowly missing other cars and getting scraped.  In front of her she sees several zombies running towards her.  They look ravenous and have wild looking eyes.  
“I can’t avoid them”, cries Lindsey.  
“Then just hit them.  It’s ok”, says Dixie.  “Forget everything you think you see and have faith in me when I tell you that the one true way to help these people is to get to the others.”
Lindsey closes her eyes and steps on the gas as the car runs over the zombies.  Blood is on the car from the zombies and when Lindsey open’s her eyes and sees it she screams and then begins to cry.  “It’s ok”, says Dixie trying to soothe her.  “You are doing great.”
Alex is eating Chinese food watching the news in his apartment when he hears a knock on the door.  He leaves the TV and walks to the door and looks through the peephole and sees Lindsey and Dixie standing at the door.  Alex undoes the lock and let’s them in.  “Lindsey what are you doing here?  What’s wrong?  Nice dog I thought they didn’t allow pets here though.”  Lindsey bursts into tears.  Alex tries awkwardly consoling her.  “Oh I’m sorry.  Look it’s going to all be ok.  I’ve seen a lot of fucked up things but it always seems worse at first and then people figure things out and it gets better.”  Lindsey continues crying.  “My bosses are going to call any minute to tell me where they want me to go to cover it but did you want me to make some tea?”  Lindsey nods her head.  “Ok.”  Alex heads to the kitchen to start the tea.  “I don’t know where this sprang up from.  It was just internet rumors and then all of sudden this.  I was sitting here blogging and working on this piece about the refugee crisis for my meeting with my editor this afternoon when Megan called me, Ow!”  Alex turns downward and sees Dixie who had nipped him on the leg.  “I think your dog needs training.  It’s ok though don’t worry about it he didn’t break skin”, says Alex examining his leg.  Alex then kneels down to let Dixie sniff him and try petting him.  “What’s the matter buddy?  You want some tea too or are you just scared with everything going on?”  Dixie then turns and walks right through the wall in the kitchen.  Alex cries out in shock and falls against the wall as he springs back in surprise.  “What the fuck!”  Dixie then suddenly appears right next to Alex.  Alex screams and runs out of the kitchen, “Holy shit!  It’s a ghost dog!”
“Alien actually”, Lindsey manages to force out between sobs.  
“What!?!”
Lindsey tries to compose herself, “That’s what I came here to tell you he was a boarder at work and he did that to me and then he told me he is an alien and we are part of some important mission.”
“He spoke to you?!”
Lindsey nods, “He says he can speak to you too you just have to believe it.”
“I’m dreaming right.  This is all a bad dream, that makes sense.  Oh wait or maybe those Chinese leftovers went bad.”  Alex thinks for a moment, “No I’m going with the bad dream.”  Suddenly Dixie teleports on top of the table before their eyes and barks.  Alex screams again.  Then he slowly approaches Dixie touching him.
“I thought it was a dream too but it’s not.  I have been living this for the last week almost”, says Lindsey.  Dixie licks Alex’s face.  “He says he has the answers for why you always felt different.”
Alex freezes and after a long moment quietly says, “I never told anyone that.  Not even Megan.”
Suddenly Alex hears in his head a male voice say, “But she always knew didn’t she?  Her and the other one that is.”  Alex’s eyes grow wide. “Can you hear me now?”, says Dixie.
“A …a talking dog”, stutters Alex.
“Good.  Now let’s hurry we have to get the other two”, says Dixie.
“What…what other two”, stammers Alex.
“Your girlfriend Megan and your twin flame Ashley”, answers Dixie.
“Ashley…Ashley who?  I know a few Ashley’s”, says Alex.
Dixie hops down off the table and heads towards the door, “You know which one I am talking about and you know where to find them both don’t you?”, says Dixie.
“How did you…?”, says Alex.
Dixie answers, “I’ll explain in the car let’s go.”

Alex looks at Lindsey who shrugs her shoulders and wipes her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment