Thursday, July 20, 2017

Myths of Humanity- Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Everyone is eating in the dining hall which is a large room with makeshift tables and stools.  Lots of people are moving around or sitting and eating and talking.  Many of them are whispering to each other about the four newcomers that are seated amongst them eating.  
Off to the side Bill whispers to Brendan, “I don’t think it’s right sharing our food with them.  One thing letting them stay in the barn till the zombies move through another to share our hard earned food with them.”
“They agreed to help out around here and earn their keep we will just have to trust they honor their word”, responds Brendan.
“Yea well I can think of some ways they could earn their keep and doesn’t have to wait till day break if you catch what I am saying.”
Upon hearing this Brendan angrily shoves Bill out of sight of the others and against a wall.  “What have I told you about that kind of talk!  Just because the world went savage doesn’t mean we are going to do it too!” 
“I hear ya.  I hear ya.  Take it easy.  I am just saying aren’t too many fine young women left and we got a couple that just walked up to our door.”
“And they will be treated like guests.  You got it!”
Bill narrows his eyes, “Watch yourself my friend.  You may run things but you know I’m the best shot here.  My trigger finger is worth more than these strangers.”
“Nobody is worth more than anyone else.  You think you can survive out there on your own then you’re welcome to try.” 
“Starting to think you care more for these strangers than us.”
“I just don’t want that attitude here ok.  You didn’t spend as much time out on the road as I have. You didn’t see what I saw.”  Brendan looks off then continues, “Look there may not be any humanity left out there but here is different.  We are going to hang on to civilization till the last.”
Lakota walks over to Lindsey who is feeding Dixie from her plate.  “Can I pet your dog?”, Lakota asks her.
Lindsey smiles warmly, “Sure!  His name is Dixie and I’m Lindsey.”
“I’m Lakota.”
“Oh that’s an interesting name.”
“It’s Lakota Sioux.  It basically means friend.”
“Oh that’s really cool.  I like that.”
“Your dog is really nice”, says Lakota as he is petting Dixie.  “How long have you had him?”
“Not that long.  He kind of adopted me right when everything started…happening.”
“Oh that was kind of you.  I suppose it helped having him with you.”
Lindsey pauses like she is thinking about something then says, “Yea I guess it did.”
“I still have my cat Chikala with me too.  She helped me as well.”
“What does that name mean?”
“Small.  She was the runt of the litter.”  Lindsey smiles at this while Lakota continues, “I don’t see her much anymore because she spends most of the time outside.  I think she likes the other animals here and the extra space so that makes me happy.”
“That’s sweet.”
Tom then barks at Lakota from across the room, “Lakota!  Quit bothering her and help clean up this kitchen!”
“Sorry gotta go.  Nice meeting you.  Thanks for letting me pet your dog”, says Lakota as he runs off.
“Yea nice meeting you too”, Lindsey calls out as Lakota leaves.
“Nice hat”, says a man wearing a cowboy hat to Ashley while she is eating.  
“Thanks”, says Ashley in a deadpan tone.
The man in the cowboy hat tips his hat to her, “A cowgirl after my own heart.”
“Something like that.”
Kristen then walks up to Ashley and asks, “What kind of feather is that in your hat?”
“Eagle.”
“Is it real?”
“Yes.”
“Cool!  Can I touch it?”, asks Kristen excitedly.
“No”, is Ashley’s straightforward response.

Alex and Megan are eating across from Tori when Megan notices a diamond ring on Tori’s finger.  “Pretty ring”, says Megan.
“Thanks.  Brendan and I have been engaged for a while.  We kept putting the wedding off to take care of other things.  Getting this land and making it our own.  We were actually going to finally get married when…all this happened.  Our wedding day was only 4 months away.”
“I am so sorry”, says Megan.
“Yea that’s rough”, says Alex.
“Guess we are eternally engaged now.  How about you two?  Married?”
“Uh no just boyfriend/girlfriend.  We only dated about 2 years before…it happened”, says Megan.
“Where were you when it happened?”, asked Tori.
Alex says, “Well Megan was a nurse so she was working a shift at the hospital and I was a reporter so I was at home waiting for my assignment.”
“Oh cool”, says Ray who overhears the conversation.  “So since you were in medicine and you were a reporter, you got any insights into what caused the zombie scourge?”
Megan and Alex look at each for what seems like an odd amount of time to Tori before Megan says, “No not really.”
“What do you think caused the zombies?”, asks Alex.
“Oh who knows.  I’ve heard some kind of super virus, I’ve heard vaccines, I’ve heard GMOs.  I even heard some kind of covert gene manipulation by the government gone wrong.  Who knows what caused it”, says Ray.
“Either way we are all fucked”, says Tori.
“Well it looks like you ended up alright.  It seems like this is a real nice place”, says Alex.
“We are lucky, that’s true”, says Tori. “Still it’s a hard life.”
Ray adds, “Although not as hard as many have it as I am sure you two know all too well.”
“Oh yea definitely”, Megan quickly says.  “We appreciate your hospitality and generosity letting us stay here.”
“You wouldn’t be the first people we have taken in”, says Tori.  “Some work out better than others.  We will see how things go.”
“Yea well that’s all any of us can do is play each day by ear and see what comes am I right”, says Ray.
“Couldn’t have said it better”, says Alex.
“Well thank you for the food and lodging.  I think we are going to turn in for the night.  We are tired”, says Megan as her and Alex get up from the table.
“Understandable”, says Ray.  “We will assign you partners for chores tomorrow morning.”
“Will do”, says Alex.  
After Alex and Megan leave with Lindsey and Ashley, Tori turns to Ray and asks, “What do you think?”
Ray shrugs, “Seem nice enough.”
“I don’t know.  Something off about them.”
“Like what?”
“I’m not sure.  Hard to put my finger on.  Like the way they dress for instance.  They look like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon.”
Ray looks off fondly remembering his youth, “Oh those were the days.  Simpler days of youth.”

Tori shakes her head, “Just be careful ok.”

No comments:

Post a Comment