Saturday, January 23, 2016

Unexpected Teachers

Ken S. Keyes, Jr. was an American writer quoted as saying “Everyone and everything around you is your teacher.”  I couldn’t agree more and have tried to live my life by that philosophy.  I have been very fortunate and am thankful to have had many great teachers over the course of my life time.  Both human and non-human.  My first big non human teacher was a silverfish or most likely several silverfish.  For those of you not familiar with that organism here is a link. Enjoy :)
You see when I was a child I would often find one crawling around my bathroom. Whenever I was in the bathroom and saw one I didn’t run out of the bathroom in fright or immediately grab a tissue or a can of bug spray.  Instead I watched them.  I just observed and when I observed them I saw something behind just a reactionary machine.  Something deep down inside of me said there is something else there.  An intelligence of a sort. There was an interplay between that organism and the world that the silverfish existed in. They taught me to observe the non-human inhabitants of this planet in addition to the human ones and how they interacted with the world they found themselves in.  As I observed I noticed insights and wisdom.  I have always been thankful to the silverfish for being the first to teach me to pay attention to all organisms for I was able to learn many lessons that have helped me through life and gain new perspectives.  I am thankful for the opportunity to share them with you and I welcome you to share with me any lessons you have learned from those around you as well so together we can grow on this journey that we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment